Chimney fires

Thursday, January 14, 2010

We had a bad experience in the middle of the night. We started running low on our good burning wood which is cherry so we started blending pine wood to burn. The problem with the pine wood is it has too much sap in it. Pine wood sap while burning turns into a bad creosote. Creosote is a tar like substance that is very flammable. The creosote ignited in our chimney. It took off like a torch. Luckily we put up a fan on our chimney to cool the outside of the steel. The far in the chimney went out within three minutes. So scary!


My Chat Box